Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Working To Work It Out

I realized that I never completed my last blog post. I got too excited about potential curly tailed pets and my thirty-minute Internet session ended. In sum, I have a lot to learn from the Cape Verdean women. They work hard -- an intense, committed physical labor that is foreign to me. I am learning each and every day, with fresh blisters to show for it.
As for new happenings -- I attended my first family “festa” this weekend that continued into a night of dancing at the one and only “diskotecha” in the village. My mom pushed me out the door Sunday night, with money in hand, insisting that I participate in the village festivities with my brothers…what a mom! Upon entering the diskotecha (or club as we like to call it across the pond) the women immediately wanted to teach me how to properly dance, moving my hips in ways I did not think they could move, while the men either grabbed my hand to dance or curiously watched my attempt at dancing like a local. After all, when you can’t blend in, you must stand out. Dancing is the center of life here in Cape Verde. I am convinced if I can master the funana and the batuka, I will win their hearts.
As of Monday, I am the proud owner of an official Cape Verdean cell phone. With the purchase of a phone, it became more concrete that Santiago is my home for the next two years…exciting, scary and overwhelming all rolled into one. Still processing one day, one rooster, one Kriolu word at a time.
On the job front -- I am eagerly anticipating learning the ins and outs of the university where I’ll be teaching. The institute became a university in 2006, graduating its first official class last week! What an opportunity to help mold and form the beginning fingerprints of UNI-CV! Currently, only 1/3 of enrolled students graduate due to lack of academic guidance, lack of financial promise and/or lack of career opportunities in Cape Verde. I have a newfound appreciation for American universities – especially that Tar Heel blue.
I almost forgot -- last night, my brother brought a pet monkey to dinner. My brother said I could have my very own pet monkey; however, we all know my interactions with monkeys didn’t go so well in the past. Maybe Cape Verdean monkeys are different than Central American monkeys?
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Hey Krista,
    Maybe you shouldn't find out if Cape Verdean monkeys are different from Central American ones! You might lose a little credibility teaching English with a monkey on your head. Haha.

    I'd be lost with all the dancing - two left feet you know. Good luck with everything.
    Much Love,
    Mr. P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We looked up the funana on youtube, and it looks like so much "fun" but really hard! You'll have to teach us when you get home! We continue to be so proud of your journey--it's clear you're out of your comfort zone--as we all would be--remember "Bon Courage!"
    The Endes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, we are SOOOOO proud of you!! What courage you have! Please keep sharing as much as you can. It really puts things in perspective to hear your stories. It reminds me of Cambodia in many ways. We can learn a lot from others, can't we?

    We love you!
    Greg, Heather, Grace, and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sissa! If that monkey ends up on your head, I need a picture! For real! Love you and praying for you dear! :-)
    Cait

    ReplyDelete